Saturday, November 29, 2008

More Than Just Cookies: Rethinking the Girl Scouts - TIME

More Than Just Cookies: Rethinking the Girl Scouts - TIME

Interesting article. While Brownies and Guides (the Canadian version of the Scout movement) were a huge part of my childhood, I only know one child out of all of my friends' children who is involved in it in any way. Most kids I know are so overwhelmed with activities already (usually at least 3-4 times a week), that I'd be surprised if Scouting ends up making it. It's too bad, as I certainly got a lot of valuable things from it, and learned a lot as well. One of the things that I very much enjoyed about Brownies/Guides was that you were always learning something new- it wasn't like dance lessons where you did the same thing over and over again- you were exposed to so many different activities and then could concentrate on the ones that interested you.

It seems that a lot of the old organizations are having difficulties- my girls were involved in Big Sisters for a long time, and while it was hugely successful for us I know that the Big Brother/Big Sister organizations themselves are usually having a lot of difficulty staying viable. I think that in the long run it's going to mean that our children miss out on a lot of things.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Casdok said...

I know what you mean. I loved Guiding in my youth!