Tuesday, November 25, 2008

As a Canadian, I'm horrendously embarassed by this-Carleton University drops Shinerama, the big Cystic Fibrosis Fundraiser, because it's "too white"

Disease dropped

I'm just appalled. (cue get off my lawn speech) When I was in University we protested Reagan and the arms build up, the horrors that were going on in El Salvador and Chile, and demonstrated for Amnesty International whenever we got the chance.

Carleton University is theoretically one of Canada's premier journalism schools, which makes this story even more frightening. Political correctness goes so far and then it only reinforces the supposed evil that it's fighting against. A "white man's disease"? I spent some very frightening hours in a hospital room waiting to see if my then 3 year old daughter had cystic fibrosis.

I am so sick and tired of people thinking that a diagnosis or condition or illness is restricted to race, or age, or "level of functioning". As far as I can tell, the only thing that affects every single one of us is that (if we're lucky), we get old, and then we die. I'm tired of being told that it's so weird that I have 2 autistic girls because autism's a guy thing. I'm tired of being told that my son has "skinny white boy" prematurity issues still hanging on, tired of trying to support people whose kids have different conditions where it seems to turn into a "whose kid is worse" contest.

Canadians aren't all assholes, and this one student council's action is certainly not representative.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: