Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Dutch man 'Europe's most committed sperm donor' - Telegraph

Dutch man 'Europe's most committed sperm donor' - Telegraph

Interesting article. Obviously, having triplets myself, I know a lot of people who have had to use fertility treatments to become pregnant (most triplets are conceived with fertility assistance of some type). I have a lot of respect for people who are sperm or egg donors, or surrogates, as I've seen the end results and know how happy a lot of families are because of the assistance of strangers (or people who they eventually get to know well).

I didn't realize until I read this article that sperm donor anonymity is almost a thing of the past in Europe- that strikes me as being bad news for infertile couples, although possibly good news for the children born of donors. I haven't had any contact with my biological father since I was about 10 (with the exception of one odd phone call in the middle of the night when I was 18), but in the last few years a member of his extended family found me and was able to give me a lot of health information about the paternal side of my family which is appreciated. To me my stepfather is my real dad, but I can't deny that it is nice to know what medical issues I have a higher possibility of facing in my 50s and later life.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: