Saturday, August 02, 2008

My hometown's "Enabling Garden" (opens as .pdf)

geg-in-ontario-gardener-2008.pdf (application/pdf Object)

If there's anything better than "horticultural therapy", I'm not sure what it is. Gardening is one of the great joys of my life, and I'm glad that I live in a place which is using it as a resource.

(Funny story related to gardening- when I was in the midst of my teenage angst my parents took me to see our family doctor about my depression. Instead of putting me on meds, he gave me two choices- go to Africa and teach English for a couple of months, or dig a hole in the garden. I asked him how big the hole had to be, and he said to just keep digging it and filling it in and digging it again until I felt better.

I do miss doctors like that- while obviously all types of depression can't be cured by helping others or working with your hands, I still can't help but think that he had a good point. Oh, and he made house calls too!)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: