Sunday, February 19, 2006

Final Choice

Final Choice

Articles and information about the Right to Die movement.

I'm not even sure why the right to die is questionable...I've heard all of the arguments against it, and there are few that make sense to me. I've been involved with enough people who are dying to know that sometimes the kindest thing that you can do is to allow people the choice to end their own suffering. I don't buy the slippery slope argument that all of a sudden doctors are going to be offing people right, left and centre. I have seen a few arguments that cite cases where hospitals in the U.S. decided to turn off life support for indigent patients, but for me that's more an indictment of the medicine for profit model than having much to do with the right to die question.

I think that I value life as highly as anyone else does, but there comes a point when people should be able to make the decision to exit when they want to. I certainly hope that if I get into a position where I have no quality of life that my doctors and family will honour my living will, and help me along (with no fear of prosecution), if I'm unable to do it for myself.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: